Festivalia x Mezcal Amores Experience
Back in March we had the fortune to meet our friends from Mezcal Amores in the agave fields outside Oaxaca to dress partygoers in unique Festivalia pieces, sip Mezcal, eat crickets, and dance until the sun came up.
The “Mezcal Amores Experience” has become an annual pilgrimage for those in the know, attracting chic crowds from Mexico City, Los Angeles, New York and Europe. The art and music party featured incredible music by Caleesi & Sarah Kreis from Berlin, Eli Light from New York, the Mexican NOCH (Alonso Rivero), Maga and Unders- click on the links to hear their amazing sets!
The agave became the backdrop of a laser light show by Paolo Montiel, and neon art by Olivia Steele took center stage to get our spirits higher… and higher.
Did you know that, if you drink mezcal the right way, it really does get you high – not drunk? Click through to see the images and get an inside look at the magical mezcal experience! All images courtesy of Nicolas de Panam.
10 Questions With BLOND:ISH
In the latter part of 2018, BLOND:ISH moved into a new phase in their history, with Vivie-ann Bakos taking sole charge of the DJ double-act she originally shared with Anstascia D’Elene Corniere.
The start of this year already has proven incredibly busy (but exciting) with non-stop international pitstops for her beloved sets. “The music I play is uplifting and positive,” Vivie-ann explains. “There’s no darkness, no minimal. My download in terms of musical vibe is to present positive, happy and inspirational house and techno music to excite your seven senses. We can’t wait to see what this year has in store for BLOND:ISH and us lucky listeners.
But now, let’s play 10 Questions…
- What brings you the greatest joy?
Watching nature do its thing. Like ants carrying food to their colony, or a bee in a flower, or leaves rustling in the wind… these things are instantly grounding.
- Favourite musician/DJ:
- Favourite song of all times:
Fleetwood Mac – Dreams, because it’s the only song that successfully was played at an after party on repeat for 8 hours in a row.
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be?
A dolphin, because they are highly evolved species that use frequencies to another level
- Who would you take on a date on space and why?
I wouldn’t – I would tell everyone else to go to space, so I can have the earth to myself with my date. My date would be my girlfriend Liana, she’s the best.
- Are you a bathroom singer?
When I’m trying to come up with melodies for a new groove I’ve written, yes. Other than that, not so much.
- What are the last three items on your credit card statement?
Airport food and water charges!
- Which 4 people are on the guest list for your ideal dinner party – dead or alive?
- What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
- Best gig you’ve ever played?
The last one that I remember was Day Zero in Tulum, post sunrise in January earlier this year.
Catch BLOND:ISH at all corners of the world in the coming weeks, including:
28th March – Soho Garden, Dubai
29th March – Pacha, Austria
12th & 18th April – Coachella
20th April – Audio, San Francisco
THE ESSENTIAL RIO CARNIVAL GUIDE
As one of our favourite parties of the year, Rio Carnival, kicks off on March 2nd, we want to prep you in the best way possible. For newbies as well as carnival old-timers, it’s always good to have a little check list at hand and be ready for the amazingness and craziness that lies ahead. Here we go:
- Don’t forget that Carnival in Rio is a MORNING party: get ready to set the alarm at 6am (!) -or even earlier- every day. The best “blocos” (groups that stage parades) happen early in the morning to avoid overcrowding. Bringing us to our next point:
- Pace yourself people, you have a long ride to go! Don’t get too excited too early and binge on vodka or cachaça.
- Once the hangover does hit, your go-to cures at the pharmacy/supermarket are: Engov (anti-hangover over-the-counter medicine), Cebion Glicose (glucose + vitamin C) and Guaraná powder.
- Go to the cash machine before you head out and have enough cash for the day (cash machines generally tend to run out during the day and are incredibly busy). For the rest take only what you really need (always take a copy of your ID) and keep these items zipped up in a plastic bag and hide it. You will get wet throughout the day.
- Put emergency money inside your shoes/underwear in case shit hits the fan.
- Have you been doing enough leg exercises in the run-up to Carnival? You better be prepared for leg burning sensations after all your dancing and moving around so make sure you stretch before leaving the house.
- Be generous with your SPF – don’t hold back throwing on the Factor 50 or you might really, really regret it.
- If you feel it’s all getting a bit much and you’re in desperate need of a siesta, do this in the late afternoon. It’s less of a drama missing the evening parties than the ones taking place during the day.
- As an old friend once said: leave your shyness and any notion of shame at home. Partying without worries is the way to get laid. Or to have fun. Or both.
- Golden rule: when in doubt, stick to the blocos in Santa Teresa!
- DO NOT URINATE IN PUBLIC! Consequences can be grave…
- To all the ladies – wear a purse with a zipper that preferably remains close to the body and that leads us to our last piece of advice:
- Dress the part!!! We want to see you go crazy and take it to the next level with your outfit. Rest assured, we’re here to save the day – we’re all about exotic prints, colourful sequins and skintight shimmering bodysuits to ensure easy dancing into the early hours.
See you in Rio!
Festivalia Does Detox : Matcha Matcha Matcha
Time to get your hipster on! It’s January, we’re either abstaining from alcohol or pretending to. In a nutshell, we want to make it through the month feeling half-human and ready to take on the new year.
Matcha will help you achieve this illusion! A cup of this gives you a gentle caffeine boost whilst boosting your system with antioxidants. We want to get on this bandwagon, so here’s an easy to make recipe:
- 1 1/4 tsp matcha powder
- 15 ml maple syrup (or stevia to taste // more or less to preference + depending on sweetness of macadamia and coconut milk)
- 15 ml hot water
- 180 ml light coconut milk
- 180 ml macadamia nut milk
- 1/4 tsp maca root powder
- 1/4 tsp ashwaganda
- 15 g (15 g) coconut butter
- Add matcha powder to your serving mug along with sweetener of choice and hot water. (If adding add-ins like maca, ashwaganda, or coconut butter, add at this time.)
- Whisk with a bamboo whisk or a metal whisk until completely dissolved. If you don’t have a bamboo whisk, you can use a spoon or a metal whisk or even blend the latte in a blender. Bamboo whisks are gentle on the matcha and also help it dissolve more completely. So if you like matcha, I recommend investing! Otherwise, use what you have.
- Once the matcha is completely dissolved, heat* your coconut and macadamia milk (or other dairy-free milks). I added mine to a frothing pitcher and steamed on our espresso machine, but you could also heat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot and steamy. To get more froth, you can whisk vigorously or use a handheld frother.
- Pour dairy-free milk into your mug – latte art optional (mine was a little sad – lol). Taste and add more sweetener if needed. I found that, when I used the macadamia nut milk, I only needed a bit of maple syrup or stevia to sweeten. Enjoy immediately.
It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere (+ it’s Christmas, so…)
THE SPICY POMEGRANATE MOSCOW MULE
Tired of the same old Christmas drinks or red wine? We have found you this delicious and super easy to make Christmas version of the classic Mule: the Spicy Pomegranate Moscow Mule. We are already prepping our shakers as we speak!
- 2 ounces vodka
- juice from 1/2 lime juice
- juice from 1/4 of a small grapefruit, plus grapefruit slices for serving
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 1-2 jalapeño slices
- ginger beer, for topping
- pomegranate arils, and fresh mint, for serving
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice.
- Combine the vodka, lime juice, grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice, and jalapeños in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until combined, about 1 minute. Strain into your prepared glass. Top with ginger beer and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
As featured on Half Baked Harvest