THE ESSENTIAL RIO CARNIVAL GUIDE
As one of our favourite parties of the year, Rio Carnival, kicks off on March 2nd, we want to prep you in the best way possible. For newbies as well as carnival old-timers, it’s always good to have a little check list at hand and be ready for the amazingness and craziness that lies ahead. Here we go:
- Don’t forget that Carnival in Rio is a MORNING party: get ready to set the alarm at 6am (!) -or even earlier- every day. The best “blocos” (groups that stage parades) happen early in the morning to avoid overcrowding. Bringing us to our next point:
- Pace yourself people, you have a long ride to go! Don’t get too excited too early and binge on vodka or cachaça.
- Once the hangover does hit, your go-to cures at the pharmacy/supermarket are: Engov (anti-hangover over-the-counter medicine), Cebion Glicose (glucose + vitamin C) and Guaraná powder.
- Go to the cash machine before you head out and have enough cash for the day (cash machines generally tend to run out during the day and are incredibly busy). For the rest take only what you really need (always take a copy of your ID) and keep these items zipped up in a plastic bag and hide it. You will get wet throughout the day.
- Put emergency money inside your shoes/underwear in case shit hits the fan.
- Have you been doing enough leg exercises in the run-up to Carnival? You better be prepared for leg burning sensations after all your dancing and moving around so make sure you stretch before leaving the house.
- Be generous with your SPF – don’t hold back throwing on the Factor 50 or you might really, really regret it.
- If you feel it’s all getting a bit much and you’re in desperate need of a siesta, do this in the late afternoon. It’s less of a drama missing the evening parties than the ones taking place during the day.
- As an old friend once said: leave your shyness and any notion of shame at home. Partying without worries is the way to get laid. Or to have fun. Or both.
- Golden rule: when in doubt, stick to the blocos in Santa Teresa!
- DO NOT URINATE IN PUBLIC! Consequences can be grave…
- To all the ladies – wear a purse with a zipper that preferably remains close to the body and that leads us to our last piece of advice:
- Dress the part!!! We want to see you go crazy and take it to the next level with your outfit. Rest assured, we’re here to save the day – we’re all about exotic prints, colourful sequins and skintight shimmering bodysuits to ensure easy dancing into the early hours.
See you in Rio!
Festivalia Does Detox : Matcha Matcha Matcha
Time to get your hipster on! It’s January, we’re either abstaining from alcohol or pretending to. In a nutshell, we want to make it through the month feeling half-human and ready to take on the new year.
Matcha will help you achieve this illusion! A cup of this gives you a gentle caffeine boost whilst boosting your system with antioxidants. We want to get on this bandwagon, so here’s an easy to make recipe:
- 1 1/4 tsp matcha powder
- 15 ml maple syrup (or stevia to taste // more or less to preference + depending on sweetness of macadamia and coconut milk)
- 15 ml hot water
- 180 ml light coconut milk
- 180 ml macadamia nut milk
- 1/4 tsp maca root powder
- 1/4 tsp ashwaganda
- 15 g (15 g) coconut butter
- Add matcha powder to your serving mug along with sweetener of choice and hot water. (If adding add-ins like maca, ashwaganda, or coconut butter, add at this time.)
- Whisk with a bamboo whisk or a metal whisk until completely dissolved. If you don’t have a bamboo whisk, you can use a spoon or a metal whisk or even blend the latte in a blender. Bamboo whisks are gentle on the matcha and also help it dissolve more completely. So if you like matcha, I recommend investing! Otherwise, use what you have.
- Once the matcha is completely dissolved, heat* your coconut and macadamia milk (or other dairy-free milks). I added mine to a frothing pitcher and steamed on our espresso machine, but you could also heat in the microwave or on the stovetop until hot and steamy. To get more froth, you can whisk vigorously or use a handheld frother.
- Pour dairy-free milk into your mug – latte art optional (mine was a little sad – lol). Taste and add more sweetener if needed. I found that, when I used the macadamia nut milk, I only needed a bit of maple syrup or stevia to sweeten. Enjoy immediately.
It’s Five O’Clock Somewhere (+ it’s Christmas, so…)
THE SPICY POMEGRANATE MOSCOW MULE
Tired of the same old Christmas drinks or red wine? We have found you this delicious and super easy to make Christmas version of the classic Mule: the Spicy Pomegranate Moscow Mule. We are already prepping our shakers as we speak!
- 2 ounces vodka
- juice from 1/2 lime juice
- juice from 1/4 of a small grapefruit, plus grapefruit slices for serving
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 1-2 jalapeño slices
- ginger beer, for topping
- pomegranate arils, and fresh mint, for serving
- Fill a cocktail glass with ice.
- Combine the vodka, lime juice, grapefruit juice, pomegranate juice, and jalapeños in a cocktail shaker. Fill with ice and shake until combined, about 1 minute. Strain into your prepared glass. Top with ginger beer and garnish as desired. Enjoy!
As featured on Half Baked Harvest
The Festivalia Christmas Guide
Time flies when you’re having fun – it seems like summer was only yesterday but in under 4 weeks it’s the most wonderful time of the year again meaning it’s also the time to start your beloved (/dreaded) hunt for gifts.
At Festivalia we are dreaming of a sparkly Christmas and have just what you need for a unique gift. With our selection of global small independent designers and featuring everything from sparkly capes to embellished hats, you will be sure to surprise him or her! Look no further than the Festivalia Christmas Guide to have the funkiest and most original gifts of all.
Festivalia Drinks: The Halloween Cocktail
Get Ready to Do(wn) the Monster Mash Margarita
The day has finally come – the scariest of the year! And as you are preparing to make your way into a night full of fright we have just what you need to fulfil that ultimate Halloween feeling. After you’ve gone trick or treating why not throw a (candy) eyeball into a Monster Mash Margarita as made by the pros at Freutcake. Now go and have a spooktacular night! 👻
- 2 oz Silver Tequila
- 4 oz Blood Orange Juice
- Simple Syrup- to taste
- 1 oz Lime Juice
- fresh rosemary sprigs for garnish
- slices of blood orange and lime for garnish
- gummy eyeball candy skewered on stir sticks
Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker and shake until well chilled. Pour over a glass of ice and garnish with a sprig of fresh rosemary, slices of blood orange and lime and a gummy eyeball stir stick.